Week 2 Story: The Beauty and the Guido

**Updated version of this story found at my Portfolio**

(Found on Google Images, represents the setting of the beginning of the story on the Jersey Shore)

 It was a beautiful day on the Jersey Shore as a mother and her daughter - Gianna - strolled past the shops. Gianna was the youngest of three daughters, and she just loved being in the presence of others. She was soft spoken, gentle, and patient; which was a complete contrast from her overbearing older sisters. 

The whole reason why Gianna and her mother traveled to the Shore was because of her sisters. The two older sisters nagged and nagged their mother to get them a new tanning bed, as their current one just wasn't good enough anymore. The mother finally caved, and off to the Shore her and Gianna went. Gianna didn't want the tanning bed though; all she requested was that they get a snow cone.

There were pop-ups for customizable tank tops, snow cones, and tanning beds. The mother and Gianna stopped to take a look at the brand new tanning bed that was just released by SunLite, when a salesman from the snow cone shop next door grabbed their attention. They had a brand new flavor - rose and honey - and he insisted Gianna try it. 

The mother purchased it for Gianna, and as soon as the snow cone was handed over, the salesman ripped off his work apron to reveal himself as an aggressive, meathead guido. He instantly grabbed Gianna's hand and pulled her away from the side of her sweet mother, demanding that she become her new gym partner.

At once the mother was overcome with fear. How could this happen? What could she do to get her youngest, sweetest daughter back?

Gianna calmed the mother down and reassured her that everything would be okay. If this guido needed a gym partner, a gym partner would be. Her patience and understanding enabled her to be exactly what this guido needed.

The guido and Gianna left the Shore to go to the nearest Gold's Gym. Within the first hour, Gianna knew that all this man needed was someone to listen to him and support him. The guido informed Gianna that they would not leave the gym until he beat his personal PR for the bench press. Gianna encouraged him and ensured that he was strong enough to do so, and he did just that.

As he completed his new PR, his meathead appearance started to fade away. His fake-tan skin turned into a beautiful natural olive; his gel-covered hair was replaced with soft, fluffy brown hair; and his overall guido nature transformed into that of a sophisticated, lovely young gentleman. 

All along, the guido just needed someone to be there for him for his true beauty to come out. Gianna provided a safe shelter for him without judgement or hate, and he felt safe because of that. Their connection was undeniable, and they became attached at the hip. Gianna had found an unexpected prince charming, and the guido found a home.


Author's Note: This is a "Jersey Shore" take on the fairytale "The Three Roses" from the book "The Key of Gold" by Josef Baudis. I tended to stay similar to the original storyline with only some minor changes. I kept the characters the same, changing the name of the daughter from Mary to Gianna; and the basilik to a guido (defined as a man of Italian descent known to be vain, aggressively masculine, and socially unsophisticated). The biggest change in the story that I made was that the daughter was taken by the guido rather than the mother having to turn her in. I thought it made most sense for how I wanted to set it up. Another change was the ending; I didn't want to end it in a stereotypical wedding. I felt that was too traditional for our modern times, so I kind of left the ending up to the discretion of the reader, letting them infer how their relationship transformed.

Comments

  1. Hi Emma!

    I love your "Jersey Shore" take on this story. All of the cultural changes are very good: Gianna and her mother looking for a new tanning bed, the basilisk instead being a guido, and the segment at the Gold's Gym. I also found it a nice touch that the "basilisk" remains completely human throughout the whole story. I think sometimes people get so wrapped up in making snap judgments about others that they don't take the time to learn more about one another and see how we're all great people on the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emma! I love your take on "The Three Roses." It was hilarious and was very easy to read. I really like the modern adaptations that you added in such as the main character that had to go to Gold's Gym and the addition of Jersey Shore. I like how you altered the ending to be a less stereotypical cookie cutter ending and the transformation of the guido after he hit a PR. The one question I had was with the tanning bed and the overall story development with the sisters of the main character. I wish they were slightly more involved in the story plot rather than just about the background of the main character. The mom is more involved in the story plot, but her background seems less apparent. I think it could be cool to add on to her background other than her being compliant in the requests of her daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Emma! I really enjoyed reading your story. I thought it was very amusing and very easy to read. One of my favorite parts about your story is how you initially describe the guido. The physical description of him made me crack up because it placed a very funny mental image in my head of what he would look like. I think I was able to connect with that description so well was because I think I’ve seen a few of those guys working out at the gym before! How did you come up with idea of the guido? I thought that was very creative and really neat. I think you should’ve added a backdrop of why and how the guido came to be, that would’ve been really funny. I think you did an awesome job on this story Emma!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts