Microfiction: Keep it 100

(Found on Needpix, represents the sidewalk in the 100 word story)

Walk

As I walked down those familiar paved roads once again, I finally felt like everything I was feeling and experiencing was real. There was no more pinching myself, no more waiting for the day something would change. I could take my life at face value, and I could be okay with it. I turned down the street and was reminded of why I loved being here in the first place. I wanted to be away, but being here for now was just what I needed. I just needed to be okay with not being okay for a little bit.

Author's Note: While I was thinking of what to write for this assignment, I was listening to the playlist I would always turn on during my quarantine walks back home. So, that is what inspired me for this 100 word microfiction. In my last 100 word story, I went for a suspenseful tone, but that's not really my writing style. This week, I wanted to use those feelings associated with the music I was listening to and put them into words. Quarantine looked different for everyone, and for me, it took a while to be okay with being home for who knew how long. But, going on those good 'ole quarantine walks around my neighborhood helped me become content with where I was at, no matter the circumstance. I hope that message was translated well through these short 100 words!

Freedom

"You coming back with us?" he questioned me. I looked to my left and to my right, and then I realized, I could do whatever I wanted.

Author's Note: My inspiration for this two sentence story was your basic, stereotypical John Green-like teenage coming of age movie. That moment when you are finally in control of your life without the reigns of your parents, money, a job, etc. to hold you back. But I also think it could be applied to multiple other story lines, which are my favorite thing about these one or two sentence stories.

Comments

  1. Emma, I enjoyed the simplicity of your microfiction, but also the good vibes that are associated with it. For the first one, I put into perspective that sometimes it's okay to not be okay, which I believe is really important, especially with where we're all at right now. Lastly, you can never go wrong with a John Green-esque coming of age storyline! But I also enjoyed it because it can apply to anything really, and that's just the beauty of writing. That said, I hope to read more of your microfiction soon!

    ReplyDelete


  2. Hello!
    I enjoyed both of your microfiction stories. The first story was nice. There are times when I'll be inspired by a piece of music or a playlist as well. I understand quarantine wasn't the best time for anyone. Your second story was a great piece of dialogue. I could see it any contemporary young adult known, including those like written by John Greene.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts