Microfiction: Drabbles and Six-Word Stories

(Found on Google Images, serves as image for my Drabble Microfiction)

Monsters Under the Bed

    As I lay my head on my pillow, I feel uneasy. There's some sort of seeping feeling, as if I am going to be swallowed up by the ground at any moment. I look around my childhood room, analyzing the old trophies and posters I used to adore. These four walls protected me from danger, as they provided me shelter from the monsters outside. As I got older though, these monsters worked harder and harder to follow me in. So as I lay, looking around my childhood room, I feel the monsters have finally made their way under my bed.

Run

    And I stood, watching him run.

Author's Note: Both of these microfictions have a very somber, somewhat dark tone. I used this approach because I feel it's more tangible to translate a sad attitude with fewer words than it would be for a happy one. I came up with both of these stories for this assignment, but found it relatively smooth to complete. For the "Monsters Under the Bed" microfiction, my inspiration was the feeling of being a college student, as we often feel like a small fish in a big pond; going back to childlike, familiar behavior in order to help ourselves feel comfortable again. However, part of growing up is facing uncomfortable feelings, which will never escape us as we continue to grow. For the "Run" microfiction, my inspiration was to write a sentence that could be placed in a multitude of different contexts. I feel that the six-word story I came up with could be used in a full dystopian style story; a young-adult story; a romance story; or even a comedy story. I wanted to do this to give the reader the freedom to match it to whatever context came to mind, allowing them to give those six-words a personal meaning.

Comments

  1. I LOVE 100 word stories, I think I've started writing these even more than my usual stories. I also really like that the length is almost inviting for some suspense or cliffhanger with the briefness of it all. I really liked how you set it up in this one as well, the suspenseful ones are always the best, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Emma! These stories were really great. Before ever reading the author's note, I felt the fear and anxiety of an uncomfortable situation creeping up on me. It's the same feeling I get seeing someone walking behind me at night or when a big deadline is fast approaching. It's crazy how those have such similar feelings.

    The six word story is awesome. For me, I imagined a lost love running off to his dream. My protagonist is sad at the loss but happy for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emma! I really like the idea of a 100 word story. These are really interesting and they incite such emotion for being such a small story. I truly felt uneasy reading it because that is how I interpreted the characters feelings. It is amazing how you can tell a story so well and make it so short! I think the author's note helped wrap up the story and the inspiration, which is very important because these stories can be interpreted in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Emma!
    I love microfictions, but this one was very nice written. You incited such emotion by having a monster under the bed. I wonder how long they stay under the bed and what they have been doing there. You also interpreted the character's feeling, that's what made it more exciting to read, because you want to know what's next. Overall perfect 100 story.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts